At Huron House Boys’ Home our basic philosophy is that the youth in our care must be respected and accepted as individuals with positive assets and potentials. We believe that as they rid themselves of the barriers erected by their milieu they find an inner striving toward growth and self–actualization. When the barriers are dismantled and problem-solving skills are put in their place they are in a better position to take meaningful steps forward in life.
While it is impractical to think great strides can be made during a short-term stay, over time, with constant and consistent support and role modelling provided, change can occur and learning experiences transpire. Our staff team recognizes the significance of interacting with youth in a manner that exemplifies the behaviour expected of the youth. This role modelling is very impactful and a large part of the learning experience.
Global goals of our programs emphasize engagement in the community, educational success, positive change, and personal accountability. Our specific goals include:
- provide each youth with daily care and nurturing
- provide each youth with support during a crisis
- make the transition from any crisis (or impending crisis) to a more stable situation the least disruptive possible for the youth involved
- teach each youth to manage and control his behaviour so that more positive actions are achieved and success is reinforced
- instill in each youth a respect for the personal and legal rights of himself and others
- offer each youth an experience in the give and take of group interaction
- maintain for each youth, as much as is practical, relatedness to community, including the encouragement of family contacts where feasible
- assess the behavior of each youth to determine his individual needs and be able to provide suitable support and guidance
- advocate for each youth so that his rights are protected, his voice is heard and his best interests are ensured
- function productively and cooperatively within the system of service that is available
- work with each youth to help him attain his highest possible education level
- provide information and support to each youth so that his subsequent placement is in his best interest